Moussa Camara, The former head of Guinea’s 2008 military junta, along with three other high-ranking officers were taken away from prison by heavily armed men in Conakry in the early hours of Saturday according to, Charles Wright, the Justice Minister.
Witnesses told the journalists that military vehicles and Special Forces were seen everywhere on the streets of the Guinean capital after gunshots were heard in the Kaloum administrative district, where Camara and others were held at the Central House prison.
He said; “It was around 0500 (0500 GMT) that heavily armed men burst into the Central House of Conakry. They managed to leave with four defendants in the trial of the events of Sept. 28 including Captain Moussa Dadis Camara,” the minister said on the radio.
“They will be found wherever they are,” he said, declining to give further details of the investigation.
It was further gathered that security was tightened on the streets and the entrance to Kaloum was blocked as well as the Guinea’s borders have also been closed to stop the escapees from fleeing the country.
Camara and others have been on trial since last year, for orchestrating a stadium massacre and mass rape by Guinean security forces whereby not less than 150 people were massacred during a pro-democracy rally on Sept. 28, 2009.
Though Camara denied the allegations and blamed the errant soldiers for the atrocities.