MENSTRUAL, CYCLE, PERIOD, MENSTRUATION, HEALTH: ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW- Dr Abbas Nasiru
Most girls don’t understand this because of the medical language used to teach it, so here are simple analyses/steps.
MENSTRUAL PERIOD: The time blood flows out of your private area when you are on your period
MENSTRUAL CYCLE: Days it takes to see another blood in the month. If your period last started on March 11th and it started again on April 10th 2019, then you have a 30days cycle (count from 11 March to 10th April).
NOTE: It is not true to believe it’s 28days cycle, different women have different cycles ranging from 21-35 days, so you have to know how long your circle is. This is prone to change.
OVULATION PERIOD: This is the time when an egg is released from your ovaries to the uterus and it’s also time to get pregnant without stress. This is 2 weeks after your period or 2 weeks before the next period.
Here’s a simple way to calculate your ovulation (unsafe) period.
1. From the first day you see the blood of your period.
2. Pick up a calendar and count 15 days including the first day of the blood stain
3. Mark the 15th day with a pen
4. Mark 3 days before the 15th day, and mark 3 days after the 15th day
6. You will notice you have 7 days marked.
These 7 days are your ovulation/fertile also known as unsafe period. From the 12th to the 18th day after your periods
That is if you have sex on any of these days, then you have a 98% chance of being pregnant.
If you have a 28 days circle, your most fertile days are the 13th, 14th and 15th days after your period. Some of you are not infertile, you just have sex on the wrong days
7. Do this every month diligently, meet your partner on your most fertile days.
EVERY OTHER DAY IS YOUR SAFE DAY.
Remember you marked 7 days above which are your fertile days, meaning the rest are your safe days.
1. If your period is 11th March 2019,
2. 15 days after the first day of the blood stain will be on the 25th of the same March (2 weeks after) counting from 11th
3. 15th day is on the 25th of March 2019
4. 3days before the 15th day is 22, 23, 24
5. 3days after 25th March 2019 is 26,27,28
6. 22-28th March (7days) is when you are ovulating. It is your fertile period
**Don’t forget that the 7 days is a reminder that sperm stays in the female body for about 7 days. Any sexual contact in between the ovulation period will get you pregnant.
8. So when subtracting your fertile days, your safe days are 1st day of your period to the 11th day after your periods… but I would advise you end on the 10th if you want security, safe days before your ovulation are not too safe cause you don’t know when exactly you will ovulate and how long the sperms will stay in your body.
Another set of safe days which a very safe and you don’t expect pregnancy in this period are the 18th day after your periods until your next period. These are days after your ovulation period.
BUT REMEMBER, NO TYPE OF FAMILY PLANNING/CONTRACEPTIVE IS 100% EFFECTIVE, BE IT HORMONAL, NATURAL OR BARRIER METHOD YOU ALWAYS HAVE SOME CHANCES OF GETTING PREGNANT THO VERY MINIMAL.
These are important lessons about MENSTRUAL, CYCLE, PERIOD, MENSTRUATION, and HEALTH that you must know.
MAJOR SIGNS THAT YOUR OVULATION HAS BEGUN.
You don’t need a doctor, to know you are ovulating and are on your fertile days. 12th to 18th day after your periods, you may feel the following:
2. High body temperature
3. Dizziness (feeling of tiredness and sleepiness)
4. Breast tenderness/ size increases just like when you are menstruating
5. Increased sex drive
6. Light cramps or pain on one side of the pelvis
7. Abdominal bloating
8. Heightened sense of smell, taste or vision (you eat more)
9. Vagina mucus becomes slippery (if you notice, put it in between fingers, it stretches like thick catarrh or snail mucus… colourless like egg white.
NOTE; The 15th-day count here is for ladies with 30 days cycle. And someone who saw her period in March 2019. If yours is 28, then it’s 14 days and not 15 days. So fertile days are the 11th to 17th day after your periods, then the rest are safe days.
If you have a headache without a cause, check back to when your period started. You could be ovulating….don’t run to the pharmacies or chemists for painkillers always on issues that can be naturally handled, because drugs are not always good, they come with a bunch of side effects.