We acting as solicitors to Hon Chike John Okafor hereby categorically state that our client was not barred from contesting the rescheduled house of representatives election for Okigwe South Federal constituency this Saturday the 23rd of February in any way by the ruling of Hon Justice Kawu Bello of the FCT high Court Kubwa in the case between Maryann Chioma Uzoma against All progressive Congress (APC), Emeka Nwajiuba and Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
A copious look at the copy of the ruling clearly shows as follows :
1. That Hon Chike Okafor is not listed in this suit as a party and it’s trite law that judgements are only binding against parties.
2. That inec by this ruling was specifically barred from recognizing or listing the name of the 2nd respondent Emeka Nwajiuba as the candidate of apc in this election and didn’t bar inec from accepting another name as candidate of Apc for this election.
3. It is important to note that the primaries issue, in this case, seem to be the one conducted by the defunct Imo APC coalition splinter group which was not the INEC recognized APC primaries for Okigwe South Federal Constituency and so is of no importance because a court cannot legalize illegality.
4. It is important to note that the primaries contested and won by Hon Okafor is not in issue in this matter and so still stands unchallenged.
5. This ruling has been overtaking by events cause the named person it is against Emeka Nwajiuba has since left APC to Accord Party (AP) and therefore INEC has nothing to enforce.
Consequently it’s important to state that our client is on the ballot for Saturday’s election and we hereby call on the general public and the good people of Ehime Mbano/Ihitte Uboma and Obowo Federal Constituency to disregard the rumor being circulated by desperate political opponents against Hon Chike Okafor’s candidacy, INEC has still listed him as a bonafide candidate for Saturday’s election.
Deputy head of Chambers.